Monday, January 3, 2011

SLOB

I needed to get this blog up-and-running, since I already had my first read of the year ready to go back to the library. New Years day I picked this book up to read, and couldn't put it down until it was finished!



SLOB by Ellen Potter


It's about 12 year old boy named Owen who is the fattest kid in his school. The book opens with Owen attempting to solve the mystery of who keeps stealing his oreos.

I thought this was going to be one of those feel sorry for the heavy kid books (and you do, but not cause he's heavy), but this delivered way more. I loved the way Potter kept unraveling who Owen was as a character. In a way, the writing style reminded me of 2010's Newbery Award winner 'When You Reach Me' by Rebecca Stead.

I wish I could give a more informative review of what the book was about, but it definitely would be a spoiler!

I would give this one 4 out of 5 stars. I really liked it!


3 comments:

  1. this is a great idea kass! i'm excited to read some of your recommendations! i have a new year's resolution to read, too. not 55 books, like you, but hopefully a few!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've been keeping tabs on what you're reading! BTW: You're little girly is beautiful! I think she looks like Brad and your oldest guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! Kass... even if I don't get to see pics of Liam & You everyday - I totally want to read up on your reviews. I am reading Les Mis right now. Almost done. Just can't sit down long enough to get back into it. I've been meaning to finish. And when i do - you better have a good recommendation for me :)

    ReplyDelete