Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Change of Plans

I'm nervous I'm not going to finish my book this week by Monday, and this may sound like an excuse, but I hit a speed bump. That bump came in the form of the dilemma of what to do when the book I started falls short of my expectations, and I switch books. This happens all the time, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, ESPECIALLY when you read modern fiction. There's all kinds of stuff out there I'd rather not be reading, and sometimes you just don't know until you read the first 25-50 pages.

Anyway, that is what happened this week. And part of me wanted to keep reading simply for the sake of this blog, but after thinking about it for a minute I figured that even after I finished the book, I wouldn't in good faith be able to recommend it. So what's the point? And I didn't want to waste my time.

I will post more why I abandoned Book A (and it's title), and reveal Book B (hopefully completed) on Monday. But I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have chosen such a D.E.N.S.E. book halfway through the week!

Even though this is a 'Book-a-Week' blog, who's to say I can't post some other favorites. Also, I wanted to post some of the reference books I've been reading (I only count novels towards
my yearly goal...not sure why).

But here they are!


I started a new exercise/diet back at the beginning of October. The long and short of it is, I exercise for an hour a day, 5-6 days a week, and the diet is that I eat healthy. So far I've lost 40 lbs! I've been watching 'The Biggest Loser' on hulu while I workout, and I find it really motivating. Every time I go to the library I pick up a couple diet, or healthy cook books, just to stay on track, and get ideas. Last week I got 'The Biggest Loser Dessert Cookbook' and got a lot of ideas for alternative sweeteners, so I wanted some more ideas, and picked this book up yesterday, and it is full of fun inspiration and information!

I got 'The Kitchen Garden' out because we are planning on putting in a good size garden this Spring, and I feel the crunch to get started. Also, I just finished the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver last month, and it was so inspiring! It was seriously one of my favorite books I read all year. In fact, if Liam plays nicely on his own for another 10 min. I might do one more post about that book, dedicated entirely to B.K. 'cause she has written some fabulous stuff.

Thanks for your comments! I like knowing this isn't just going out into the void.

Wish me luck finishing my book this week!







1 comment:

  1. 40 lbs!! That's awesome! An hour a day of exercising was the only way I was able to drop the baby pounds this time round. I've heard good things about Jillian Michael's metabolism book. And by good things, I mean my sister in law raves about it :)

    ReplyDelete