Monday, February 4, 2013

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore


Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
A Novel
by
Robin Sloan

   I just finished this book a couple minutes ago, and I wanted to hurry up and blog about it, before I lose my momentum. I really enjoyed this read. It was quick, easy, and entertaining. Because I read a lot of YA fiction, I liked that this was a novel who's target audience was adults, but it read very much like YA. Which to me, goes to show that you can write lighthearted fiction, with a great plot and good characters, and have it appeal to adults. 

   The story begins when a young guy ends up with a gig working the night-shift at a mysterious bookstore in San Francisco. From there the story takes off, and moves at a nice clip. Clay (the young guy) along with a colorful cast of really likable (if a tad underdeveloped) characters set off to solve and/or protect the mystery of the bookstore. It takes a science fiction turn, and also has a lot of other nerdy-ness thrown in (all inserted rather tongue-in-cheek), so I really liked that. Another thing that appealed to me is how it's all about books! Of course readers are going to like that! 

Anyway, perfect weekend read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment